- Guidance Quick Links
- Guidance General Information
- Registration 10th, 11th & 12th Grade
- Incoming 9th Grade Information
- Canvas Login and Support
- Advanced Placement (AP)
- Counselor's Corner
- Career Technical Education
- College Prep Testing
- College Representative Visits
- Tutoring/Study Skills
Private/Independent Colleges and Universities
APPLYING TO A PRIVATE/INDEPENDENT UNIVERSITY
The application process to a private/independent university will vary from school to school. Unlike UC and CSU, students will have to research and apply to each university separately. It is best not to wait unit the end of your junior year to start preparation. The more information you have up front about the particular university you are applying to, the more concise and complete your application process will be.
Private and Independent universities differ from the UC and CSU significantly in their applicaiton process. Generally speaking, they will have the same subject requirements as the UC and CSU (a-g subject pattern); however, students should check the home website of the university in question to be certain. Where the UC and CSU systems do not require letters of recommendation, or even transcripts with their applications, private/independent universities will expect the following:
- Students must download all application materials from the home website of the school they are applying to.
- Most private/independent out-of-state universities WILL require college essays
- Most private/independent out-of-state universities WILL require letters of recommendation
- Most private/independent out-of-state universities WILL require high school transcripts at the time of application. Most will ALSO want mid-year transript updates after the fall semester grades for senior year have been posted.
- Most private/independent out-of-state universities WILL require information directly from the Guidance Office (School Counselor). These reports may be called secondary school reports; school reports; counselor reports, counselor evaluation, etc. Students must download these forms from the college website and give them to their School Counselor no later than 3 weeks before the deadline!
- As with the UC and CSU, students must arrange to have their ACT and/or SAT exam scores sent direclty to the university directly from ACT (American College Testing Inc (ACT) www.act.org., or from the College Board (SAT I and SAT II) www.collegeboard.com.
EARLY ACTION VS. REGULAR ADMISSION
Application deadlines vary from as early as October 1st (for Early Action/Decision programs) to as last as February for some schools. Most Regular Admissions deadlines will be somewhere between December 1st through January 15th. Please note that Early Action does not pertain to UC or CSU.
SCHOOL COUNSELOR LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION REQUEST FORM
This Information is REQUIRED!
Students applying to California or out of state private/independent universities may need their School Counselor and/or a teacher to complete a letter of recommendation, secondary school report and mid-year report.
PRIVATE / INDEPENDENT UNIVERSITY TOP LINKS
Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities
The Common Application THS Common App Information
College and Career Planning in California
College Campus Tours